Cannes Film Festival Day Four

This was my absolute favorite day of the festival thus far, and we still have eight days left. I started the day with an 8:00 AM screening of Atlantique. I thought the film was very well-made and interesting, and the score was phenomenal. I found the plot itself to be a little disjointed - the film focused on the romance when I was much more interested in the literal spiritual possessions happening around the town, but we mainly focused on the romance...for some reason.

After Atlantique, I went back to AmPav for the panel "Making a Global Village," about international cooperation in filmmaking. This panel was so enriching and fascinating, and I learned so much about coproduction with larger markets. Afterward, there was a panel with the American directors at Cannes, and that was a really inspiring panel creatively speaking, and just really motivational.

After the panels, I grabbed lunch and headed to the 5:30 screening of Play, a French mockumentary film that was so sweet and heartwarming. It really grabbed me from start to finish, and was just a very touching movie about life, love, and loss.

We wandered back to the pavilions after that screening, only to be accidentally invited into a closed party at the German pavilion. The party was for networking with German Film Commission, the company representing Germany to location scouts and producers. We met some really cool people, and I will go back tomorrow to try and get tickets to the German short film award on Sunday from German Film.

The last thing I did today was watch And Then We Danced at 10:30, and this might be the best movie I have seen at Cannes thus far, and is definitely my favorite (it is actually a new favorite movie of mine in general, which is sad seeing as it probably won't get U.S. distribution). It was a gorgeous and moving film, and I am happy to have ended an excellent day with an amazing movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flawless Film Review

Never Look Away: German History Through the Lens of Art

Cannes Film Festival Day Five